Was this page helpful
to you?

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Before you call or email our Customer Care Centre, check the FAQs below for answers to our most popular questions on:

FAQs: Council Meetings Livestream

City of Parramatta Council offers a live streaming webcast of Council Meetings, if you are unable to attend in person, in an effort to give you greater access to Council decisions and debates while eliminating geographic barriers.

Please note, while we will endeavour to provide up-to-date information, the following webcast troubleshooting FAQs below have been prepared to assist for general informational purposes only and should be used as a guide, as we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of information as it changes. To watch the council meeting livestream click here.

1. What is live streaming?
Live streaming is the transmission over the Internet of video of an event as it happens in real time. Streaming is a form of online video in which the site sends video footage to a user's machine rather than as a complete file.

2. What do I need to view the videos?
You need a device running a supported operating system, a supported web browser and speakers. 

3. What are the minimum system requirements for Windows and Mac OS?
Windows minimum system requirements:

  • 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® Atom™ 1.6GHz processor
  • 128MB of RAM (1GB of RAM recommended for netbooks)
  • 128MB of graphics memory

Mac OS minimum system requirements:

  • Intel Core™ Duo 1.33GHz or faster processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6 or v10.7
  • 256MB of RAM; 128MB of graphics memory

4. What connection speed is required to watch the videos?
To ensure the video plays smoothly, you will need a minimum connection speed of 450kB/s for standard definition.

5. How much data will be used while streaming a video?
While streaming a video, you will use approximately 3.3MB per minute (450kbps).  

6. What version of Adobe Flash Player is required?
Council Meetings are broadcast live in Flash Video format. Flash Player or higher is recommended for desktop computers and Flash Player 10.1 or higher is recommended for Android devices. You can download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe website.

7. How soon after a Council Meeting will the video be available to watch?
In most cases, once a Council Meeting has concluded, the video will be available to watch online within five business days. These will be available in the Council Meeting Livestream archive soon. 

8. Can I download a video to keep?
In most cases, once a Council Meeting has concluded, the video will be available to watch online within five business days. These will be available in the Council Meeting Livestream once ready.

FAQS: Submissions

1. I feel that the enjoyment of my property may be affected by a proposed development. What can I do?
You can make a comment or an objection to a development proposal by making a submission to the City of Parramatta by post or email. You must include your full name, phone number and address, the relevant Development Application (DA) number and the site address.

You can make a submission on a proposal via email or post. 
e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au
m: PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124

2. Who can make a submission?
All developments require written notification. City of Parramatta will write to adjoining landowners and neighbours inviting their comments, but anyone can make a submission on any DA whether they received a letter or not. Submissions need to be received by Council within the time frame specified in the notification letter or advertisement.

3. What should I include in my submission?
If your submission is an objection to a proposal, your reasons should be clearly provided. Make sure that you keep your letter relevant to the specific proposal. Read more about how to prepare a submission here

4. Are the number of submissions received important?  
The matters raised in the submissions are of primary importance. The number of submissions received in response to a DA have no bearing on the outcome of the application.  

5. What happens once I make a submission?
When you send us your submission, we'll acknowledge your submission in writing. For petitions, the head petitioner will be sent an acknowledgement letter to share with the co-signatories. The City of Parramatta must consider all issues raised within any submission before making a decision regarding DA's.

6. How do I find out what is happening with my submission and the assessment of the application?
You can track the progress of an application online via My Development Portal. You can also call and speak with our Development Unit on 9806 5600. Following the determination of an application, everyone who made a submission will be notified of the decision.

7. I want to request copies of submissions to a DA. How do I do this?
You can request copies of submissions to a DA by completing the GIPA Informal Access to Information Form. There are no charges for this information request.

FAQS: Rates

1. When are my rates due?
Rates are normally due by 31 August for the current financial year or residents can pay their rates in four instalments due 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May within the financial year the rates are due.
For more information refer to the https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/council/rates-fees-and-charges/how-it-works

2. How can I change my postal address for rates notices?
You can change your rates notice postal address:

m: City of Parramatta, PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
f: 9806 5917
e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au

3. How can I pay for my rates?
There are a number of ways you can pay your rates by quoting your Customer Reference Number:

  • in person at City of Parramatta, 126 Church Street, Parramatta NSW 2150 
  • via post to City of Parramatta PO Box 32 Parramatta NSW 2124 with a cheque 
  • online 
  • at Australia Post with cash or cheque
  • Direct Debit: phone 02 9806 5441
  • BPAY: Pay with Mastercard, Visa, American Express (Amex), or cheque using Biller Code 5710 and use the Ref No on your rates notice
  • POSTbillpay using Biller Code 0577 and use the Ref No on your rates notice
  • Centrelink Centrepay
  • IVR phone service: phone 02 9770 3415 with Mastercard, Visa, or American Express card.

For more information refer to https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/council/connecting-with-council/rates-fees-and-charges

4. I am having trouble paying my rates on time. Can I make an arrangement with City of Parramatta to pay by instalments?
Yes, you can, as long as you pay the rates within the financial year. You must put in your request to the City of Parramatta via:

m: PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
p: 9806 5050
f: 9806 5917
e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au.

5. Can I get a copy of my rates notice?
Yes, if you are the owner of the property. Your rates notice is available for $19.70 for this financial year and you'll need to complete an Application for Rating Information form.

Send the completed form back to City of Parramatta via:
m: PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
f: 9806 5917
e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au

You can request how you would like your rates notice sent back to you, either by email or post.

6. What is the Centrepay / Centrelink Reference Number on my rates notice?
It is the new Centrelink Reference No. that is a new payment option, if you would like to have your rates paid directly from your Centrelink payments. This is not your Centrelink benefit number; it is the service provider number for Centrepay deductions only.   

7. Who is eligible to claim the pensioner rebate & how can I claim the rebate?
City of Parramatta offers both a mandatory pensioner rebate and an additional funded rebate.
In order to qualify for the mandatory rebate, you must:

  • be liable for the rates and charges on your property
  • reside in the property
  • have a current Pensioner Concession Card issued by either the Department of Veteran's Affairs or Centrelink

To receive the additional rebate, you must:

  • qualify for the mandatory rebate
  • have resided in the property consecutively for at least the last 5 years

Visit this page for more information on how to apply.

8. Can I update a Section 603?
Yes, call City of Parramatta on 9806 5050 with the Assessment Number and Certificate Number to update a Section 603. 

9. Can I get my rates notice via email? 

Yes, you have the following options:

Option 1: Login to your internet banking, register for B-Pay view, and follow the prompts for Parramatta Rates.

Option 2: eNotices for individuals

eNotices allows you to self-manage all your properties, send notices to multiple email addresses, print additional copies and pay your notice.

Register to receive your rates notice by email in five easy steps:

  1. Go to eNotices

  2. Click the sign-up tab

  3. Enter in your email address and eNotice Reference Number

  4. Check your email inbox and click the validation link

  5. Select a password or mobile number

You will then be able to receive your notices electronically.

 FAQS: Waste and Recycling

1. When is my next clean up due?
The City of Parramatta currently provides a total of 4 kerbside bulky waste clean-ups per calendar year. These must be pre-booked by residents. Clean-up material put out without any booking will be investigated as illegal dumping and you could be fined.

To book a clean-up please click here.

2. How much does the bigger bin cost?
240L Residential Garbage - $644.56
240L Commercial Garbage - $687.27

As at 2019-2020 financial year, and prices are subject to change.

3. My garbage has not been collected.
There can be a number of reasons why garbage collection gets delayed. If garbage is not collected after a reasonable amount of time, lodge a Service Request to Collect form. If your whole street has not been collected, please wait until 4pm to call or log a Service Request. 

4. Can I replace a broken/lost bin? Does it cost me anything?
Yes, you can. You just need to lodge a service request explaining which bin requires replacement and why. At the moment, there is no cost for bins to be replaced. 

5. How can I order a new bin?
City of Parramatta requires new bin requests from the owner of the property. Send the completed form back to City of Parramatta via:

m: PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
f: 9806 5917
e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au

6. People have dumped rubbish on my street. Can council remove it?
Council will investigate the dumping and take necessary action if you report the incident or phone 1800 DUMPED. 

FAQs: Development Applications

1. Can I check on the status of my Development Application?
Yes, check your development application progress online .

2. Can I book a Building Inspection?
Inspection bookings can be made via the Building Inspection Reservation Form or by phone on 9806 5050.

3. How can I get a copy of my house plan?
If you have lodged an application that includes a copy of your house plan since 1 July 2005 for approval, you can find your house plan online.

If your application was lodged before 1 July 2005, you will need to lodge a request under the Government Information Public Access Act (GIPAA). Information about the types of applications and how to lodge can be found here – Access to Information.

e: council@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au 
m: PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124
p: 9806 5050
f: 9806 5917

4. What is the zoning of my property?
Visit the development section for zoning of your property or check the NSW Government planning portal.

You can also apply for a Zoning Certificate (Section 10.7) to get zoning information and information about the types of development that could be permitted on your land.

5. How do I lodge a Building Certificate for unauthorised building works?
The lodgement of Building Certificates for unauthorised building works please complete the Building Certificate Application form and lodge at the counter or via post with all supporting documentation and payment. 

6. How do I book a pre-lodgement meeting for my proposed development?
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, no face to face pre-lodgement meetings are being held. You can still lodge applications online and we could provide a teleconference meeting for issues that need to be addressed or just forward the pre-lodgement notes. This is subject to any further changes as the situation progresses.

7. When is a Development Application (DA) required?
Development applications are generally required for use of land, building, subdivision, erection of a building, carrying out of work or demolition. Some very minor types of development called Exempt Development do not require development consent. However, before you start building, make any changes to a building or occupy premises you need to check whether the proposal is permissible and if an application is needed. For advice you can speak to City of Parramatta's Development Unit in person or call 9806 5524. 

8. What hours of work are permitted on a building site?
Standard hours are: 
Monday - Friday 7am - 6pm
Saturday 8am - 5pm
Sundays/public holidays: no work permitted.

9. How do I find out if my property is Heritage listed?
Refer to the Heritage Local Environmental Plan, which is available from Council's Development Unit. Your property may be listed as a heritage item or be located within a Heritage Conservation Area. City of Parramatta may also hold information about the history of the property and why it is considered to be significant. You may also find that your property is listed on the State Heritage Register or protected by a Heritage Order under the Heritage Act. 

10. Does Heritage listing stop me doing work to my property?
Heritage listing does not mean that a building cannot be modernised, altered or developed. However, it does mean that any changes must be designed so that they do not detract from the heritage significance of the site. Demolition of a heritage listed building is unlikely to be approved. Call City of Parramatta's Heritage Planner on 9806 5524 for guidance and advice on heritage matters. 

11. Do I need to make an appointment to see a planner or storm water engineer?
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, no face-to-face meetings are being held in Council. As an alternative, you can call our Customer Contact Centre on 1300 617 058 during business hours and arrange a call back from the duty planner or engineer for that day.

12. Where can I find development related forms?
You can locate all development forms here.

FAQs: Animals

1. Do I have to register my cat?
If you have owned your cat prior to 1 July 1999, you do not have to register the animal for life but you must ensure that your cat is identifiable by a collar, ID tag or microchip. However, if you sell or give away your cat after 1 July 1999, it must be microchipped and registered for life. 

2. When do I need to register my dog?
Pups must be microchipped by 12 weeks, or before change of ownership, and registered for life by six months of age. 

3. Where are the "leash free" areas located in Parramatta?
Council provides nine designated leash free areas for dogs in the City of Parramatta:

Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times in public places when outside these designated off-leash areas.

4. What are the fees for registering my dog or cat?
Registration fees as of 1 July 2020:

  • $216 for undesexed dogs

  • $60 for desexed dogs

  • $60 for dogs owned by registered breeders

  • $30 for desexed dogs sold by eligible pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation

  • $26 for desexed dogs owned by pensioner

  • $0 for guide and assistance animals - working dogs and registered greyhounds

  • $50 for desexed cats or not desexed

  • $50 for cats owned by registered breeders

  • $25 for desexed cats sold by eligible pound/shelter or an approved rehoming organisation

  • $26 for desexed cats owned by pensioner

  • $17 Late fee (If registration fee has not been paid 28 days after the date on which the animal is required to be registered)

Find out more on how to register your pet.

5. What can I do about a neighbour's dog that barks a lot?
Barking is a dog's natural way of communicating and often indicates a possible danger or problem. This can be useful to owners. However, when dogs bark or howl for no reason, it can be upsetting to others. Dog owners are responsible for ensuring that dogs do not become a nuisance.
Lodge a nuisance dog complaint. 

6. Does City of Parramatta pick up stray cats?
No, City of Parramatta does not pick up stray cats.

7. Can City of Parramatta help me find my lost dog?
If you have lost your dog, telephone Blacktown Pound on 9839 6160 to check if your dog is currently being held there. This pound includes animals from Blacktown, Auburn, Canada Bay, Holroyd, Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, Parramatta and Ryde council areas. Please note that Parramatta City is not responsible for the management of any fees/charges associated with the Blacktown Pound facility.

You can also check Pet Related Organisations for more details on pounds and animal shelters.

8. Can the City of Parramatta help injured wild animals?

Council Rangers are not trained to handle these animals. Please report the matter to WIRES Wildlife – 02 8977 3333.

9. I have found a dead animal. Can the City of Parramatta help?

If the deceased animal is located on Council land (footpath, park, road etc) you can submit a Service Request for our Cleansing Team to remove the animal. Please note Council is unable to remove deceased animals from private property.

FAQs: Services

1. Can City of Parramatta fix a pothole in the front of my property?
You can submit a Service Request  for a pothole to be inspected. City of Parramatta will investigate and determine what action needs to be completed.  

2. Can City of Parramatta take care of sweeping my street?
You can submit a Service Request   for a street sweeping inspection and City of Parramatta will investigate and determine what action needs to be completed.  

3. I'd like to remove a tree from my property. What next?
If you would like to remove any tree that is more than 5m in height, you will need approval from City of Parramatta to have it removed. Before you apply to have a tree removed, check trees that are exempt from approval and do not require an application to be removed.

4. The tree on the footpath in front of my property is overgrown and branches are falling. Can City of Parramatta prune/remove it?
Yes, you can lodging a Service Request  for City of Parramatta to inspect the tree and take action, if needed. 

5. Does City of Parramatta provide free trees to residents?
Yes. Open days, advertised in the local newspapers, take place at City of Parramatta's Nursery in Cowells Lane, Ermington, where residents can select two free trees/shrubs. Free trees are also given to residents, visitors and local employees on 'green' days, such as World Environment Day, Wattle Day and National Tree Day. 

6. How can I find out what multicultural services are available in Parramatta?
Information regarding services on offer through Council are best discussed with our Community Capacity Team 02 9806 5138.

7. What services or leisure activities are available to people over 55 years?
Council has a range of activities available for over 55's, for more information visit Community Care.

8. What services are available to people with disability?
A number of services are offered, for more information visit Council's NDIS page.

9. How do I report an abandoned vehicle?
Use a Service Request to report the location, vehicle make, colour and registration details.

10. My neighbour's grass is overgrown. What can I do?
As the property owner or occupier, you are responsible for property maintenance including the footpath area. Council is empowered under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1993 to preserve public health and safety in the local community, including overgrown vegetation on private property. A City of Parramatta Environmental Health Officer will inspect the property to determine if the conditions pose a threat to public health and safety (e.g. long grass could lead to the presence of vermin, rodents, etc.). You can lodge a request for footpath maintenance. 

11. How do I join the library?
You can find out more about joining on the membership page. Membership is free and you'll need to provide identification (driver's licence or health card) to join. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian is required to sign the form. 

12. If a bus shelter requires repair, how do I alert City of Parramatta?
Simply lodge a service request.

13. Who can I speak to about getting a kerb and gutter constructed in my street?
City of Parramatta has a prioritised listing for outstanding unconstructed streets and your request will be assessed for funding in accordance with the program. Call the Infrastructure Unit on 02 9806 8250 to find out the listing for your street.

Alternatively, if you want to report damage to an existing kerb & gutter, you can lodge a Service Request.

14. Who can I speak to about a faulty street light?
The majority of the City of Parramatta area has street lighting maintained by Endeavour Energy, but some areas are maintained by AusGrid; and all issues should be reported to them respectively.

If you are unsure which organisation maintains the streetlights in your area, please speak with our Customer Contact Centre on 1300 617 058 to confirm.

15. My neighbours are noisy. What can I do?
It is always best to speak to your neighbours first. If this does not produce a successful outcome, you can lodge a complaint. Be aware that City of Parramatta cannot regulate noise from motor vehicles or from people talking or yelling. Council regulates noise including loud music, power tools, lawn mowers, air conditioners, swimming pool pumps and commercial and industrial premises. The Police and the NSW Environment Protection Authority also have the power to investigate noise pollution. 

16. What do I need to do to get involved in volunteer work?
The Community Care team are always looking for motivated individuals who can commit to at least six months of volunteering. Our team deliver a wide range of services and require volunteer support to deliver meals, host our Let’s Dine Out luncheons, offer companionship to someone housebound over lunch in their home, right through to one on one support with shopping and social activities. Being in a culturally diverse local government area, if you speak another language, this is always welcomed.

Before starting, all volunteers must complete a Criminal History Check and take part in a Volunteer Induction training session, which explains the volunteer's role. There are also ongoing monthly training and support meetings. For more information visit Council's Volunteering page.

If you're interested in caring for your local environment, you may wish to volunteer with Council's Bushcare program. Bushcare is a volunteer-based, environmental conservation program coordinated and supported by the City of Parramatta. Bushcare volunteers care for their local bushland reserve by removing weeds, restoring habitat for native animals, and planting trees.

For more information call (02) 9806 8280 or (02) 9806 8281, or email bushcare@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au

17. I want to research the history of Parramatta. Are there resources to help me do this?
Yes. The Parramatta Heritage Centre houses the City Archives and the Local Studies Collection is where you can discover more about Parramatta's rich history. While collections are non-lending, which means the resources can only be used in the Reading Room at the Centre, there are copying facilities available. The Council Archivist and the Local Studies Librarian can provide information on the collections as well as assistance and advice. 

Specific buildings and sites of heritage significance in the Parramatta Local Government Area are listed alphabetically by street and house number in the City of Parramatta Heritage Study. The Teachers' Guide to Parramatta Heritage Sites (on this website) is also a good start. Various published works about the history of individual buildings and houses in the area are also available. Other library branches have a number of popular books on Parramatta's history which can be borrowed. 

FAQs: Parking and Transport

1. I need to park my car and the parking meter is not working. What can I do?
Please find another parking meter to obtain a parking ticket or you will be fined for parking without a valid parking ticket. 

2. Can I get a parking permit?
You can if you live in the parking permit area. To apply for a residential or visitor permit, you'll need the following details for eligible drivers and vehicles that will be using the permit: 

  • current NSW Driver's License. If you have an overseas driver's licence, you will need to bring a photo ID and two utility bills (instead of a single utility bill) 
  • current NSW Vehicle Registration. If you have a company vehicle you'll need written permission on company letterhead to use the vehicle
  • one of the following documents: recent utility bill/rental lease agreement/bank statements/phone bills/lease agreements/Pensioner or Student Concession card if applying for a concessional rate

3. Where can I find free and paid parking in Parramatta?
The following link contains parking information

4. How do I get around in Parramatta?
Parramatta CBD is easily accessible by trail, buses and Rivercat, while the Parramatta Transport Interchange provides a gateway to Western Sydney by linking rail services with the Western Sydney Transitway Network, local buses and other transport services. Commuters and visitors can also travel around the city centre on the free shuttle bus or on foot. Parramatta has two car share locations to help those who need a car occasionally but do most of their travel by public transport.

FAQs: Mobile Food/Drink Vendor (MFV)

1. Do I need to register my Mobile Food/Drink Vendor (MFV) with City of Parramatta Council?

Yes, if you intend to trade in the City of Parramatta LGA.

  • If the MFV is garaged in City of Parramatta area a registration form is required to be submitted, available here
  • If the MFV is garaged in another Council area but you intend to trade in City of Parramatta area a notification form is required to be submitted, available here.

2. Will City of Parramatta Council inspect my MFV?
Yes, and at the minimum annually, if the vehicle is normally garaged within City of Parramatta LGA or only trades in City of Parramatta LGA. However, City of Parramatta officers may also inspect the MFV if a complaint is received or if there is any other reason to believe that a food safety breach is occurring.

3. Is DA approval required to operate a MFV?
No, provided that the conditions of Subdivision 27A of SEPP (Exempt & Complying Development Codes) are met, e.g.:

2.54B   Development standards
The standards specified for that development are that the development must:
(a)            have the consent of the owner of the land on which the development is carried out or, if a council or public authority has the control and management of the land, the consent, in writing, of the council or public authority, and
(b)            not restrict any vehicular or pedestrian access to or from the land or entry to any building on the land, and
(c)            not obstruct the operation of, or access to, any utility services on the land or on adjacent land, and
(d)            not be located within the canopy of, or result in damage to, any tree growing on the land or on adjacent land, and
(e)            not result in any damage to public property on the land or on adjacent land, and
(f)             if carried out on land within or immediately adjacent to a residential zone—only be carried out between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm on any day, and
(g)            if located on a public place—have any approval required under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993, and
(h)            if located on private land—be limited to 1 development on that land and not contravene any conditions of a development consent for any other use carried out on the land.
Note: A registrable vehicle within the meaning of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007, or a cart, bicycle cart or the like must operate in accordance with the Guidelines for mobile food vending vehicles (NSW/FA/F1055/1302) published by the NSW Food Authority in February 2013, and any requirements of the Food Act 2003.

4. Where can I operate my MFV?
Anywhere that the landowner on which you intend to operate provides consent for this to occur, e.g. private landowners or Council/Public authority if it is public land (e.g. park, reserve, car-park roadway etc). Written consent is required from the relevant authority for public lands (Section 68 Approval under the Local Government Act, if it is City of Parramatta property).

5. What rules apply to the operation?
Whatever conditions the landowner stipulates in their consent to operate and any general road/parking rules that may apply for the particular location. Also the Food Safety Standards, Food Act and Regulation and the NSW Food Authority Guidelines for Mobile Food Vehicles are all applicable.