Nominations open for City of Parramatta Australia Day Awards
City of Parramatta Australia Day Awards
The City of Parramatta Australia Day Awards recognise the outstanding achievement and excellence of local community members and highlight the importance of service to the Australian nation.
This year has presented many challenges, so it is more important than ever to recognise, celebrate, and honour the local heroes who have gone above and beyond to support our City and community.
You are invited to nominate a member of the local community whose exemplary contribution is deserving of recognition. This could be a friend, family member, workmate or someone you know who serves the community.
There are various reasons to nominate someone for an award in this year’s age-based categories, including achievements in: education, sports, arts and culture, volunteering, leadership, health and welfare, offering acts of kindness, or someone who has made major contributions within the Parramatta Local Government Area.
You can nominate for the below categories:
Note: The age of the nominee must fall into the applicable category as of 26 January 2021
- Citizen of the year: A person who has made a noteworthy contribution to the City of Parramatta in any of the below age groups.
- Junior Citizen of the Year in honour of David Shakespeare OAM: 19 years and under
- Young Adult Citizen of the Year: 20 – 39 years old
- Adult Citizen of the Year: 40 – 59 years old
- Senior Citizen of the Year: 60 years and over
- Community Group Award: A local group or organisation, which has provided an outstanding contribution to the City of Parramatta community. This includes projects and events.
Nominees must be an Australian Citizen or permanent resident. Nominees must also live, work or study in the City of Parramatta Local Government Area. If the nominee resides out of the area, the services provided must have largely contributed to the City of Parramatta Local Government Area.
To enter, complete the form below with a minimum 200-word submission outlining the nominee's background, achievements, and reasons for nomination.
Your submission should address the Selection Criteria outlined below. We encourage you to include supporting documents such as character reference contact details and photograph/s in your nomination submission. Applicable nominees will be contacted and provided the opportunity to submit further supporting information to be considered by the Judging Panel.
Please note: Information provided in the nomination submission, and by the nominee, may be included in the Australia Day Local Awards event program and media release.
Nominations close at 5pm on Wednesday, 18 November 2020.
To view the previous Australia Day Award recipients please visit this page.
Submit your nomination
Council is pleased to provide an online nomination form below for direct and convenient submission.
Complete the nomination form and send to:
City of Parramatta
Australia Day Awards – Civic Events
PO Box 32
Parramatta NSW 2124
For more information, please phone 9806 5000 or email email@example.com.
Selection Criteria for Nomination
The Australia Day Awards Judging Panel select the winners of each category. The criteria used by the panel in the selection process include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to the betterment of the community.
- Undertaken activities that have a positive purpose, short and long-term benefits for others.
- Shows vision and leadership.
- Active in the community where the community benefits.
- Showed outstanding achievement in a specific field e.g. academic, sporting, cultural, environmental, community engagement, leadership, or civic responsibility.
- Impact of the activities of an individual or group on the community whether it be immediate or lasting.
- The nominee is law abiding.
- The nominee is a positive role model to others.
- The nominee engages in community participation.
- Personal, academic and professional achievements.
- Other awards and nominations received.
- Special achievements.
Further that, consideration should be given to:
- Nominations located in the Parramatta LGA, where the nominee also delivers the service to the City of Parramatta community.
- Nominations of a volunteer nature, in kind service or contribution, not in a paid capacity.
- Nominees must be an Australian Citizen or permanent resident.
- Nominees must reside, work or study in the City of Parramatta Local Government Area. If residing out of the area, the service provided must largely contribute or significantly benefit the City of Parramatta Local Government Area.
- Community groups and projects must have been held and largely contribute or significantly benefit the City of Parramatta Local Government Area.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- Sitting local, state and federal politicians are not eligible nor immediately after leaving office.
- No weight is given to the number of times a person is nominated.
- All individual nominees will be considered for the relevant Citizen of the Year Award.
Conditions of Entry
- Entry in these awards is open to all persons who reside, work or study in the City of Parramatta Local Government Area and who are an Australian Citizen or permanent resident at the time of nomination.
- Entry in the Community Group Award is open to all community groups based and operating in the City of Parramatta.
- Nominations must be submitted via the official form.
- Nominations may be made as an individual, couple, partnership, family or organisation.
- You can nominate more than one group or individual, but a separate form must be used for each nomination.
- Individuals cannot self-nominate.
- Community groups may self-nominate.
- All nomination information and materials submitted remain the property of the City of Parramatta Council.
- The judging panel has the right to vary the category if a different category is deemed more appropriate.
- Past award recipients will not be considered in the same category again.
- The judging committee’s decision is final.