Community Care Volunteers Make a Difference in City of Parramatta
Our volunteer team of 100 volunteers are highly valued community members who have been with Council for up to 25 years. They are essential for us to operate many of our services for older people and adults living with disability. We would not be able to provide our person-centred services without volunteers.
There is a diverse range of volunteer roles across our services:
- Social Inclusion where volunteers are matched based on common interests and provide weekly or fortnightly social visits or community activities based on the needs of the person.
- Meals on Wheels where volunteer drivers and helpers deliver meals each weekday morning.
- Let’s Dine Out where volunteers facilitate socialising and dining out in restaurants.
- Social Lunch where volunteers provide social support over lunch for people at risk of malnutrition.
- Over 55s Leisure and Learning Centre where volunteers help out at reception and assist with various group activities including walking groups, social groups and classes.
Interview with Fouad Nahkle, volunteer across three services and winner of 2020 Lord Mayor Humanity Award
Meals on Wheels volunteer Helen Macias receiving the Central Sydney Region Adult Volunteer of the Year Award
Volunteer with us
Volunteering is an activity which takes place through not for profit organisations or projects and is:
- of benefit to the community and the volunteer
- by free will of the volunteers and without coercion
- without financial gain
- for designated volunteer positions only.
Being a volunteer can be a valuable and enjoyable experience, providing the opportunity to meet people and help others. People volunteer for a variety of reasons including to:
- give back to the community
- use skills to help others
- gain work experience
- learn new skills
- meet new people
- have a sense of purpose.
One the greatest rewards of volunteering is knowing that your efforts make a difference in the lives of others. As a volunteer in our team you will be supported with orientation, training opportunities and ongoing support and supervision. There are opportunities to interact other volunteers and attend events throughout the year.
City of Parramatta recognises that volunteers have the right to claim reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses such as the cost of public transport or petrol costs when using own vehicle.
View current volunteer vacancies on Seek Volunteer.
Register your interest to become a Volunteer
If you are interested in a role and believe you meet the criteria, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form.